About the Homeowners
Joanna Levitt and Ben Britton live in an apartment with a cottage feel on the East Side. She is the Director of Commercial Leasing and Marketing for Cornish Associates and co-directs a design website. Ben is a freelance photographer and works for Thames and Kosmos making educational science kits for kids.
About the Home
1. This is a print I picked up in Florence, Italy. The original is from 1936, and was an advertisement for a bouillon cube. The little man looks like a spy, which makes for an interesting story. I’m always attracted to bold graphic design.
2. One of my favorite shops is Fishs Eddy in NYC. They have an ever changing and vast collection of new and vintage ceramics. Many pieces from my collection were found there.
3. This shelf is from the Warwick Bottling Works. They were a local bottling manufacturer famous for their ginger ale. I use it as a bar - which seems fitting. This piece was given to me by friends at the former Uncle Sig’s Toy Store on Hope Street.
4. The walls throughout the house are covered in planks of rough sewn pine - with the bark still attached. They were all natural when I moved in, but I’ve painted them to create a cleaner, beachy feel. Sometimes I feel as if I live inside a tree house.
5. Every year I take a trip to the Brimfield Antique Show in Brimfield, MA. Some years I leave with amazing finds, like these orange molded plastic school chairs. I carried these chairs nearly a mile on foot to get from the dealer to my car. I still regret not buying all six.
6. This table is one of my favorites. Its curvy chrome legs hold up a red and white floral lace patterned top. I never need a tablecloth. This piece was also given to me by friends at Uncle Sig’s Toy Store.